Jesus calls us to share the Good News with the Greater Melbourne community and beyond. We participate in larger community events to connect with all people.
RELIEVING SUFFERING IS GOD'S LOVE MADE REAL.
Local mission, and domestic and international opportunities help us live into the call of God's people to spread His Good News.
Below is a list of local and global mission areas that First Church Melbourne supports financially and/or with donated items. Volunteers also support many areas.
Complete the form below if you are interested in joining us!
What we're about
The Children's Hunger Project - The Hunger Project provides packets of food each weekend during the school year to students identified by his/her school as coming to school hungry on Monday mornings. Volunteers are needed for food packing events.
South Brevard Sharing Center and WE CAN - The Sharing Center provides food, clothing, rent, mortgage, utilities, transportation, and employment referral assistance to families in need. Each week, we ask each person who attends First Church to bring a nonperishable food item for our "We Can" program. Each year, our goal is to donate 10,000 items. We invite you to participate. Volunteers from First Church also help at the Sharing Center with stocking shelves. Volunteers are needed!
Family Promise - First Church is one of thirteen host churches for Family Promise in Brevard County. Once a quarter, our church hosts up to five families in transition - limited to fourteen people. We provide an evening meal, fellowship, an assigned sleeping room for each family, breakfast, and a sack lunch. It takes a team of volunteers for each week to run smoothly. Currently, First Church is providing breakfast and lunch items, and dinners.
University Park Elementary - First Church began a partnership with UPE several years ago. The staff and students are supported with school supplies and backpack donations, teacher appreciation luncheons, and more. There are many ways to get involved, including:
- Volunteer in the Classroom
- Provide food and volunteer for special meals for staff - We provide food and volunteers for a welcome back breakfast in August, a Christmas/Holiday luncheon in December, Valentine's Day cookies in February, treats throughout the Staff Appreciation Week in May, and ice cream and yogurt delivered to teachers on their last teacher workday of the school year.
- For the Kids - We provide a safe Halloween Trunk-or-Treat and Spring Fling events.
- Workdays at the school to clean up the building and grounds
- Panda Store - Open to the students to spend the "Panda Bucks" they earn for positive behavior - donations of new and gently used items are always appreciated.
- UPE Scholarship Program - In 2017 First Church awarded the first "Forward In Faith" Scholarship. This is available to a graduating high school senior who attended UPE for at least one school year and will be attending an in-state College or University in the Fall. In 2020 we awarded two scholarships.
Community of Hope - This organization provides transitional housing that allows families with children to remain together, become self-reliant, and move into a permanent home. We are currently in partnership with Community of Hope by providing housing use for a family. We financially support this organization.
New Life Mission - First Church provides Easter Baskets for the children in this program.
Haiti - Mission Teams have gone to Haiti to assist with projects. Currently, we are NOT collecting clothing, glasses, or toys to send to Haiti.
Cuba - We have a sister church in Gibara, Cuba. We have had a mission team go to Cuba and we have also sent funds to provide meals.