Jesus calls us to share the Good News with the Greater Melbourne community and beyond. We participate in larger community events to connect with all people.
RELIEVING SUFFERING IS GOD'S LOVE MADE REAL.
Local mission and domestic and international opportunities in Cuba and Haiti help us live into the call of God's people to spread His Good News.
Below is a list of local and global mission areas that First Church Melbourne supports financially and/or with donated items. Volunteers also support many areas.
Fill out the form at the bottom
if you're interested in getting involved!
What we're about
South Brevard Sharing Center and WE CAN - The Sharing Center provides food, clothing, rent, mortgage, utilities, transportation, and employment referral assistance to families in need. Each week, we ask each person who attends First Church to bring a nonperishable food item for our "We Can" program. Each year, our goal is to donate 10,000 items. We invite you to participate. Volunteers from First Church also help at the Sharing Center with stocking shelves. Volunteers are needed!
The Daily Bread - This organization provides hot lunches for the poor and/or homeless. Other services are also provided for this population. Our church provides a team of workers to cook and serve meals on the second Friday of each month. New volunteers to the team are always welcome!
The Children's Hunger Project - The Hunger Project provides packets of food each weekend during the school year to students identified by his/her school as coming to school hungry on Monday mornings. They also provide food packets to be given out at the summer "Feed and Read" program. Volunteers are needed for upcoming food packing events that are TBD.
Family Promise - First Church is one of fifteen host churches for Family Promise in Brevard County. Once a quarter, our church hosts up to five families in transition - limited to fourteen people. We provide an evening meal, fellowship, an assigned sleeping room for each family, breakfast, and a sack lunch. It takes a team of volunteers for each week to run smoothly.
University Park Elementary - First Church began a partnership with UPE several years ago. The staff and students are supported with school supply and backpack donations, teacher appreciation luncheons and more. There are many ways to get involved, including:
- Volunteer in the Classroom - We have around 17 volunteers per week
- Work with 1st Grade students in Accelerated Reading
- Work with upper grade students in Accelerated Math
- Mentor - meeting with a student once a week
- Library Aide
- Provide office assistance
- Vision and Hearing Screenings at the request of the school staff
- Student Registration assistance if needed
- Provide food and volunteer for special meals for staff - We provide food and volunteers for a welcome back breakfast in August, a Christmas/Holiday luncheon in December, Valentine's Day cookies in February, treats throughout the Staff Appreciation Week in May, and ice cream and yogurt delivered to teachers on their last teacher workday of the school year.
- For the Kids - We provide a safe Halloween Trunk-or-Treat and Spring Fling events.
- Workdays at the school to clean up the building and grounds
- Panda Store - Open to the students to spend the "Panda Bucks" they earn for positive behavior - donations of new and gently used items are always appreciated.
- Hygiene Program - This program was initiated to provide hygiene items for homeless students attending University Park Elementary and expanded to include socks, underwear, shoes, and a bucket of items for each homeless student to have over the summer break.
- UPE Scholarship Program - In 2017 First Church awarded the first "Forward In Faith" Scholarship. This is available to a graduating high school senior who attended UPE for at least one school year and will be attending an in-state College or University in the Fall. In 2020 we awarded two scholarships.
Community of Hope - This organization provides transitional housing that allows families with children to remain together, become self-reliant, and move into a permanent home. We are currently in partnership with Community of Hope by providing housing use for a family. We financially support this organization with a monthly donation. Mentors are needed.
Florida United Methodist Children's Home (www.fumch.org)
Brevard Rescue Mission - This year at Easter, First Church provided Easter Baskets for the children in this program and hosted a table at their "Women Who Care, Share" fundraiser.
The Master's Workshop - First Church supports The Master's Workshop by providing school uniform shirts for the children who attend University Park Elementary School.
Haiti - Mission Teams have gone to Haiti to assist with projects. Currently, we are NOT collecting clothing, glasses, or toys to send to Haiti.
Cuba - We have a sister church in Gibara, Cuba. We have had a mission team go to Cuba and we have also sent funds to provide meals.